Tunisia has announced 59 new cases of coronavirus, bringing the country’s total number to 173.
The latest cases were identified during 229 new tests, Health Minister Abdellatif Mekki said on Wednesday.
“It is still possible to protect ourselves,” he said, noting that local infections now outnumber those who recently traveled in from epicenters of the outbreak.
At times appearing frustrated as he addressed the media and the public, the health minister appealed yet again to people to adhere to the terms of the lockdown.
He also criticized people who have violated self-quarantine rules.
“The question is, where are we headed? Where are we headed if the police and army today have to tell you, ‘Please go to your homes,
“Can the country continue like this?… The situation in Tunisia cannot sustain this,” he said.
Tunisia imposed a nationwide lockdown that came into effect on Sunday. Its airspace and land borders have been closed since last week.
LIKE WHAT YOUR'RE READING?
Subscribe to TheBIGTRENDIN Latest News in your inbox each morning.